Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Splurge vs Steal

Hi :)
For today's post I'm going to talk about splurging vs steals, or highend vs drugstore stuff. There are tons of great drugstore products out there (aka the steals) but I also find that somethings in the drugstore just don't work for me, or I can't find things that compare to the quality of high end products. Now of course these are just my personal opinions on these splurge vs steal products, and I'm going to go through different categories of makeup and tell you what I think! Also let me know if you have a 'steal' that's worth sharing if I picked a 'splurge' for the category!

Primers- Splurge
For me primers are a splurge for both face and eyes. I have tried a verity of drugstore ones (especially for the face) and none have worked. My skin is sensitive and a lot of primers make my breakout so I'm sticking to the Benefit Porefessional. But most importantly, find what works for your skin weather it be drugstore or highend! As for eyes, nothing beats my Mac painterly paint pot. 

Foundation- Both
I like a wide verifty of both highend and drugstore foundations! These are just two of my favorites. I use the Covergirl Ready Set Gorgeous Foundstion almost everyday. It's probably my most used foundation I own and I've gone through probably 5-6 of them. For highend Makeup Forever Mat Velvet+ has been a favorite of mine recently (and for years!) and again, just like primers, find what works for your skin!

Concealer- Splurge

Concealer is another splurge for me. I haven't found anything that compares to my Mac Pro Longwear Concealer. I so want to try a new Maybelline concealer that's new though!

Setting Powders- Steal
The Rimmel Stay Matte Powder is seriously the best I've used. And it's under $5, wooo!!

Bronzer- Splurge 
Bronzers are another splurge for me. With my pale skin, a lot of Bronzers look very orange on me and that seems to be what I find with drugstore ones. I'm not saying there aren't good ones, but for my skin I can't find one. These are two of my favorite high end Bronzers. You can see my Nars Laguna is very loved, and the Too Faced Chocolate Soleil is another great one.

Blush- Both
OK I'm a serious blush hoarder. It's a problem. I usually splurge on blushes because I don't find many from the drugstore that I love, but I do love physicians formula blushes (last 3 on bottom row) and Milani baked blushes (first on bottom) are great too. For high end my favorite ones are from Nars and Benefit, but I also love Hourglass and Mac too!

Eye Shadows- Splurge
Along with blushes, I tend to hoard palettes. It's an even bigger problem LOL. I do love some drugstore palettes (Maybelline Nudes, etc) but I don't think the quality of them compares to ones from Urban Decay, Too Faced, or Lorac. These shadows are just amazing. But I will say that Makeup Geek has amazing shadows for a very cheap price! 

Eyeliners- Steal
I very rarely purchase expensive liners. I just go throught them too fast and I find these ones from Loreal work just as great as high end ones. The Loreal Lineur intense liquid pencil (not shown) and the Silkissime liners are very good duped for the Urban Decay liners!

Mascara- Steal 
I actually have yet to find a highend mascara that I love but I'm itching to try the new Benefit Roller Lash! I have a hard time paying for something expensive when I run out of them fast like liners. Anyways- these mascaras are some of my favorite from the drugstore and they are better than any highend ones I've tried. 

Lipsticks- Both
You all know I'm a huge fan of Mac lipsticks, but I own a lot of drugstore ones too! I've really been loving the Maybelline Lipsticks recently. Mac will always be my favorite, and I love my  Nars lipsrick too but Maybelline has really impressed me!

So what do you guys think? What do you Splurge vs Steal on?? Let me know in the comments! And let me know if you would like to see more posts like this in the future! 

•Extra stuff. Some upcoming posts to look forward to! 
-I'm going to do a makeup brush favorites post! I haven't done one before so look forward to seeing what brushes I use everyday. 
-April life post is coming up soon. I also *might* film a April beauty favorites video! No promises though he he he..
-A new post series coming up on my blog. Friday 5's. What is that all about?? Wait and see ;)

14 comments:

  1. i like naked palette and mac products
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybelline Lash Sensational is hands down the best mascara I've used, I like it more than Falsies! As for concealer, the best I've ever used is Maybelline Instant Age Rewinds, nothing beats that.

    You MUST do a April favourites video, I insist! LOL! Would be lovely to hear and see you talk, Ashley! xx

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you love that Mascara Shireen!! It's such a good one! And I'll have to try that concealer! I used it years ago and I liked it but don't remember why I stopped using it!

      And LOL I'll try to make a video! I get so camera shy and awkward though but I've been thinking about it for a while!

      Delete
  3. This post was great Ashley! It really got me thinking. I've noticed that makeup now has split into three levels: drugstore, middle (benefit, too faced etc) and high end (chanel, dior, charlotte tilsbury). I usually stay in the middle, but I steal on eyeliner's and lipsticks. I love Milani! Their blushes and lipsticks are fab. I also like L'oreal's lipsticks. Really good post.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim, I'm glad you liked this post! And I agree I usually stay towards the middle with a few occasional splurges from dior or hourglass! I haven't tried any Milani lipsticks yet so I'll have to give those a go!!

      Delete
  4. agree with all of these. drugstore mascaras are just as good as the pricey stuff. sometimes even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the Mascaras I've tried have been better from the drugstore!

      Delete
  5. I loved reading this post Ashley! I tend to hoard lipsticks and eyeshadow palettes lol! I primarily use drugstore mascaras as well. I usually go for Covergirl or Maybelline. Have you tried Benefit They're Real Mascara? That's a pretty good high end Mascara too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pilar, I'm glad you liked this post! I have tried they're real before and I did like it a lot but it was so hard to get of haha! And yes Maybelline mascaras are great!

      Delete
    2. Have you tried coconut oil to remove your mascara? That may help. I find coconut works even better than traditional makeup remover!

      Delete
    3. I have and I forgot about using that!! I bet that works great for mascaras that are hard to remove!

      Delete
  6. I agree with you on everything, I also splurge on primers and concealers...the Porefessional and MAC ProLongwear are holy grail items for me. Great post!
    xo, Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lily! I'm glad someone else loves those too!!!

      Delete