Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Elf Cosmetics | Acne Fighting Foundation & Illuminating Eye Cream Reviews

Hello! Are you a fan of Elf? 

As with any cheaper makeup brand (or any brand really), the products can be hits and misses. I've definitely found both hits and misses while trying Elf makeup, but they've really seemed to improved the quality of their makeup recently. They've also added skin care, and I've been dying to try a lot of it!

The acne fighting  foundation is one I've wanted to try for a while now, even since a few YouTubers that I watch raved about it. My targets selection of Elf isn't the best, but I was in another city and saw the foundation so I didn't even hesitate to pick it up. 

My target just started carrying Elf's skin care, but only a few things. They were sold out of 2 out of 4 of the things I found, and the eye cream was one of them. Again, I didn't hesitate to buy it. 


So today I'm doing a two in one review for both the foundation and the eye cream. 

Let's talk about the foundation first. 

Elf Acne Fighting Foundation 
From Elf's website 
"This lightweight acne fighting foundation works to disguise redness, blemishes and uneven skintone. The flawless coverage foundation formula is infused with acne fighting key ingredients Salicylic Acid, Witch Hazel, Camphor, Tea Tree and soothing Aloe, to help prevent and treat acne blemishes."

This foundation is $6 and can be found online at Elf's website and some targets. I chose the shade porcelain, which was the lightest shade and a perfect match for my skin. 

My Thoughts
Let's state the obvious first that this look just like Makeup Forever Mat Velvet+ foundation packing. This also have a similar texture, but that's where the similarities stop. 
 
•Pros
-only $6
-blends in super nice. I've tried with both the beauty blender and Sigma F80, I prefer using the F80 brush. 
-the formula is a little thicker (like the MUFE one I mentioned) but it's lightweight and feels natural on the skin.
-medium coverage
-has acne fighting properties and ingredients. I really like using witch hazel, tea tree, and aloe for my skin. 

•Cons
-some targets don't carry this, so you'll have to order online. I find it hard to choose a foundation shade online. 
-it comes in 8 shades, so not the best color selection. 
-has a slight medicinal scent, which is probably from the 'acne fighting' ingredients. I can only smell it right when I start to apply this to my face. It doesn't bother me, but it might bother some. 
-even though it's medium coverage, some redness pokes through on my skin. I still have to use a concealer to spot conceal.
-I don't find this doing anything to fight acne. 
-not very long lasting. It does last most of the day, but with my skin being combo oily, it looks a little patchy at the end of the day. 

Overall I think this foundation is just okay. I wouldn't repurchase it, but I'll use it up. It's a decent foundation for how cheap it is, but is rather spend the extra $5-10 on another drugstore foundation that I know will last longer. If your skin is oily then I would skip this, or try it with a good matte primer and setting powder. If your skin is dry, you might like this!

Elf Illuminating Eye Cream 
From Elf's Website 
"Purified water and essential nutrients help hydrate and minimize the appearance of dark circles and puffiness for glowing, healthy looking skin.

Infused with nourishing Jojoba, Vitamin E, and Cucumber to soothe and protect the delicate skin area around the eyes. It's also rich in antioxidants Shea Butter and Green Tea."

This one is $10 online or at Target. I'm not going to do a pro con list with this one because there isn't much bad to say about this. But also keep in mind that I have yet to find an eye cream that works miracles and reduces fine lines, etc. 

-This does a nice job at hydrating my under eye area. Like it promises, it does make my under eye area brighter and reduce puffiness. 
-I'm not sure it does anything to minimize dark circles, but I get those pretty bad so that might just be me. 
-I love the texture of this eye cream, it almost feels like a cross between a gel and a cream, which might be from the water ingredients in it. I'm not 100% sure though since I've never used any gel/cream products before (I could be totally wrong, ha!). 
-It absorbs quickly and I've been using this at night and in the morning. I have no problem blending out makeup over top of it. 
-For $10, I really like this. I've only tried a small handful of eye creams (both drugstore and highend) and this has to be my favorite so far. 

I definitely recommend trying this one. It's worth a try for how affordable this is. I really want to try more of Elf's skin care line!

Have you tried either of these Elf products? Do you have any Elf favorites? 


    No comments:

    Post a Comment